Jumat, 01 Mei 2015

Causative Have/Get

HAVE = give someone else the responsibility to do something
Grammatical structure:
-HAVE + PERSON + VERB (base form)
-HAVE + THING + PAST PARTICIPLE OF VERB

Examples of grammatical structure #1:
-I’ll have my assistant call you to reschedule the appointment.
-The businessman had his secretary make copies of the report.
Examples of grammatical structure #2:
-I’m going to have my hair cut tomorrow.
-We’re having our house painted this weekend.
-Bob had his teeth whitened; his smile looks great!
-My washing machine is broken; I need to have it repaired.
Note: In informal speech, we often use get in these cases:
-I’m going to get my hair cut tomorrow.
-We’re getting our house painted this weekend.
-Bob got his teeth whitened; his smile looks great!
-My washing machine is broken; I need to get it repaired.

GET = convince/encourage someone to do something
Grammatical structure:
GET + PERSON + TO + VERB

Examples:
-How can we get all the employees to arrive on time?
-My husband hates housework; I can never get him to wash the dishes!
-I was nervous about eating sushi, but my brother got me to try it at a Japanese restaurant.
-The non-profit got a professional photographer to take photos at the event for free.

source :
http://www.espressoenglish.net/causative-verbs-in-english-let-make-have-get-help/